The College of Arts, Media, and Engineering at the Herberger Institute of Design and the Arts and the Polytechnic School of the Ira A. Fulton College of Engineering at Arizona State University seek a dynamic thinker and innovator for a full-time, integrated assistant. Appointed as a joint professor who will join the team in fall 2022 as part of Arizona State University in Mesa City Center, an emerging media technology center in development. This expert in Extended Reality (XR) technologies will be an important part of a highly collaborative team dedicated to interdisciplinary approaches to public impact through creative uses of technology.
About Arizona State University
Arizona State University is a new paradigm of American higher education, an unprecedented combination of academic excellence, entrepreneurial energy, and broad reach. This new American university is a single, unified institution of four disparate campuses that positively impacts the economic, social, cultural, and environmental health of the communities it serves. Her research is inspired by real-world application that blurs the boundaries that traditionally separate academic disciplines. Arizona State University serves more than 80,000 students in Phoenix, Arizona, the fifth largest city in the country. Arizona State University supports intellectual and cultural diversity, and welcomes students from all 50 states and more than a hundred countries worldwide.
About the Herberger Institute of Design and the Arts
Arizona State University’s Herberger Institute of Design and Arts is the largest comprehensive school of design and arts in the country, located within a dynamic research university focused on transformative change. The Herberger Institute is built on a unique range of disciplines, featuring art schools; arts, media and engineering; music, dance and theater; School of Design Sidney Poitier New American Film School and ASU Museum of Art. The Herberger Institute is committed to redefining the school of design and the arts in the twenty-first century by developing and expanding ideas that enhance the role of designers and artists in all areas of society and culture, maximizing artists’ ability to make a difference in their communities. For more information about the Herberger Institute of Design and the Arts, visit herbergerinstitute.asu.edu.
About the College of Arts, Media and Engineering
The School of Arts, Media, and Engineering at Arizona State University’s Herberger Institute of Design and Arts offers a dynamic, cross-campus and customizable curriculum for students, which prepares students with tangible skills in new media, artificial intelligence, games, wearable technology, and more. We believe that a liberal arts degree for the twenty-first century needs to create citizens who are versed in the hard skills of emerging technology as well as the soft skills that employers increasingly demand. The College of Arts, Media and Engineering trains students to be socially aware, and to think critically about global citizens striving to make positive change, in a society increasingly shaped by the coming revolutions in emerging and new technologies. For more information about the College of Arts, Media and Engineering, visit Artsmediaengineering.asu.edu.
About IRA A Colleges. Fulton Engineering
We engineer and inspire innovation. The Ira A. Fulton Schools of Engineering are resilient, dynamic, and dedicated to continuous innovation, student success, faculty excellence, and the development of a diverse, equitable and inclusive environment. We deliver Fulton Teams, wrapped in these principles: a focus on student success in the classroom and beyond, accelerating research inspired by use and pioneering engagement, faculty dedicated to transformative research and engineering education, engaging our stakeholders in industry and society, and making global impacts.
The Polytechnic School located on the Polytechnic campus focuses on hands-on learning by creating objects and solving real-world challenges through collaboration between students, faculty, and industry. We believe that the way you learn and study is just as important as what you learn and study.
Located on 600 acres in Mesa, Arizona, the third largest city in the state and part of the Greater Phoenix area, the Polytechnic’s campus is home to a beautiful desert nursery and more than 6,300 undergraduate and graduate students. The academic facilities are among the best that ASU has to offer and have been specifically designed to support an environment of learning and discovery. The Polytechnic School boasts some of the most innovative engineering programs and advanced learning laboratories in the country.
About Arizona State University in Mesa City Center
Arizona State University has joined forces with one of the nation’s fastest growing cities to build a digital innovation center in Mesa. Arizona State University in Mesa City Center will open doors for students in emerging industries while helping transform downtown Mesa into a vibrant innovation district. Once fully developed, this 118,000-square-foot space will utilize its acoustic arenas, audio labs, immersive labs, examination theatres, fabrication labs and design studios to encourage collaboration that aims to solve problems today and in the future—from envisioning new urban transportation systems to testing new designs for living rooms. Hospitals. This global media production site will host hundreds of students making films, video games, and other immersive media, as well as extended reality experiences of all kinds. Our comprehensive programs will train some of the world’s best media storytellers and entrepreneurs, and the facility will also be an open and engaging venue for the public as well as a source of inspiration, entertainment, and education.
Primary responsibilities for this jointly appointed position will be within the ASU Programs in Mesa City Center, an interdisciplinary trio of graduate programs that brings together researchers, designers, and engineers to leverage XR technologies and design immersive experience and practices for public impact. The successful candidate is expected to develop an independently funded collaborative research program; Teaching and guiding students. participation in professional and university service; Involve university and community stakeholders, and demonstrate national and international leadership in their field.
Candidates for this position must be:
- Demonstrate excellence and commitment to education, although this need not be in a formal higher education environment.
- Demonstrate dedication to equality, diversity and inclusion.
- Have completed a PhD or other definitive degree in computer science, media arts, or a related field by the start date of the appointment.
- Proven experience and research experience in software and content development for XR and game and/or interactive media design, as well as demonstrated proficiency in one or more of the following tools and practices: creating 3D applications in Unity, Unreal, or an equivalent game engine; C#; improved C++, XR; animation; Motion capture, machine learning (ML) and/or computer vision (CV).
Highly qualified candidates for this position may possess the following skills
- A commitment to research and creative activity and/or scholarship that has a general impact outside the academy, including work related to community engagement, social justice, science communication, intercultural communication or similar endeavors in highly collaborative and creative practices.
- Evidence of the ability to inspire and guide learners from diverse backgrounds.
- Ability to communicate effectively in and across multidisciplinary cultures and backgrounds; Experience in engaging many perspectives and audiences in a variety of formats to develop dynamic research and curriculum programs.
- Proficiency in one or more of the following tools, practices, and systems: cloud infrastructure for mobile application development and XR; iOS and/or Android development; developments for VR/AR frameworks such as Oculus, Hololens, SteamVR, ARKit/ARCore, MRTK, and ARFoundation; and hardware/interface development for XR.
- Knowledge of virtual production environments, tools and workflows
- Demonstrate interest and/or experience in UI/UX design
- Experience with 3D software workflows including Maya, Max, Blender, Revit, Navisworks or similar
- Advanced experience designing managed plug-ins and/or native plug-ins for game engines or related software.
- Experience teaching online or creating training/education resources in an online environment
- A letter of interest/covering letter that includes a description of the applicant’s research and educational interests and addresses potential alignment with the stated values and mission of ASU and related departments.
- A statement that addresses how the applicant’s past and/or potential contributions to diversity, equity, inclusion, and/or racial justice will advance ASU’s commitment to inclusive excellence.
- Contact information for at least 3 professional or scientific references.
- Portfolio of creative and/or research work (web portfolio, code repository, software/plugins) submitted electronically, as a website, via a downloadable link/application or publication form (file size limit 100MB).
All applications must be submitted electronically via application.interfolio.com/96685
The deadline for applications is January 3, 2022. Applications will continue to be accepted on a rolling basis for a reserve pool. Applications can then be reviewed in the reserve pool in the order in which they were received until the position is filled.
Arizona State University conducts a pre-employment screening of all jobs which includes criminal background checks, work history checks, academic credentials, licenses and certifications.
Arizona State University is a federal contractor to VEVRAA and an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All eligible applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. (See https://www.asu.edu/aad/manuals/acd/acd401.html and https://www.asu.edu/titleIX/.)
In compliance with federal law, ASU prepares an annual report on campus security and fire safety programs and resources. The Arizona State University Annual Fire and Safety Report is available online at https://www.asu.edu/police/PDFs/ASU-Clery-Report.pdf. You may request a hard copy of the report by calling the Arizona State University Police Department at 480-965-3456.
COVID-19 vaccination requirements Under President Biden’s recent executive order requiring all federal contractor employees to receive COVID-19 vaccines, ASU expects all employees, including new hires, to be vaccinated unless they have approved medical or religious housing. Proof of vaccination will be required by January 4, 2022. For questions about medical or religious accommodations, please visit the Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion webpage.
Applicants may also be interested in the following positions within the Herberger Institute of Design and the Arts that are now or will be published soon. Please consider applying to any and all positions that fit your qualifications. All applications must be submitted separately.